2013 is here!!! Lets begin the new year a little greener
First tip of 2013: Eliminating chemicals out of your life
1) Find Organic Options:
-Look for things without pesticides. Cotton covers 55% of the world's cultivated land yet uses 75% of the world's insecticides, more than any other single major crop. There are shops out there that are keeping up with what the consumer's demand. If your favorite shop (grocery, clothes, or even a mattress store) does not have any organic options you can ask your favorite shop if they have organic options. You might just get some more options or the owner may be able to order it for you.
Other great reason to farm without pesticides:
- Protecting surface and groundwater quality (eliminating contaminants in surface runoff)
- Reduced risk in insect and disease control by replacing insecticide with the manipulation of ecosystems
- Long-term prevention of pests through beneficial habitat planting.
- Conservation of biodiversity
- Eliminate the use of toxic chemicals used in cotton
- Organically grown crops also yield soils with higher organic matter content, thicker topsoil depth, higher polysaccharide content, and lower modulus of rupture; therefore reducing considerably soil erosion.
The health effects of pesticides depend on the type of pesticide. Some, such as the organic phosphates and carbamates, affect the nervous system. Others may irritate the skin or eyes. Some pesticides may be carcinogens. Others may affect the hormone or endocrine system in the body.